2006 - IFT, UNESP (Invited Professor) - São Paulo, Brazil
2005 - 2005 Max Planck institute Physik Systeme Dresden, Germany
1988 - 2004 Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy
1974 - 1988 Universidade Estadual de Campinas, professor Campinas, Brazil
1973 - 1974 Max Planck Institut Metallforschung, postdoctoral fellow,Stuttgart, Germany
1971 - 1973 Max Planck Institut Festkorperforschung, postdoctoral fellow Stuttgart, Germany
- Ph.D. in Physics, Brown University (Providence, R.I., U.S.A.), June 1972
- Licenciada en Ciencias Fisicas, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina, December 1966.
Research and Publications
- Research in Superconductivity and in Nonlinear dynamics, current interests: synchronization of chaotic systems and analysis of neuronal data.
- Around 100 scientific publications and 7 books, as main Editor, one as member of the Editorial Board.
- Highlight: Extracting messages masked by chaos, G. Perez and Hilda A. Cerdeira, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74 ,1970 (1995). Seminal work in the field, showed that the underlying structure of low-dimensional chaotic systems could be used by an eavesdropper to decode an encrypted message. It appeared in the review book: Controlling Chaos: Theoretical and Practical Methods in Non-Linear Dynamics, by Tomasz Kapitaniak, Academic Press, 1996
15 years experience at the University of Campinas, Brazil and at the Diploma Course of the ICTP since 1992.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Member of the Advisory Committee on Physics Today
- Director-at-large of the Governing Board of the American Institute of Physics
- Director of the Scientific Committee of the Foundation of the Institute of Theoretical Physics, UNESP, Brazil
- Elected Member of the Forum for International Physics
- Fellow of the World Innovation Foundation (WIF)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, World Scientific
- Member of the Editorial Board of Learned Publishing, ALPSP, U.K
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Series of Lecture Notes on Complex Systems, World Scientific
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Science Echoes, a Pakistani online journal
- Member of the IUPAP Working Group on Communications in Physics
- Member of the American Physical Society
- Member of the Brazilian Physical Society
- Peer reviewer of: Bulletin of Mathematical Biology;
- European Journal of Physics B;
- Europhysics Letters;
- Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research;
- International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos;
- Journal of Simulation and Modelling;
- Journal of Theoretical Biology;
- Mathematical Reviews;
- Optics Communications;
- Physica A and D; Chaos, Solitons and Fractals; Physics Letters A;
- Physical Review A; Physical Review E;
- Physical Review Letters;
- Communication in Nonlinear Sciences and Numerical simulations;
- Mathematical Reviews.
Prizes for Epistemic (www.epistemic.com.br)
- Demo Day Berrini Ventures e-Health Summit HCFMUSP
- Prêmio Empreenda Saúde (Undertake Health Award) from the Sírio-Libanês Hospital and the Everis Foundation
- Finalists for the Annual Shark Tank of the Epilepsy Foundation of America
- Desafio Pfizer
- UNESCO consultant.
- Evaluator for the Proyecto de Investigacion en Ciencia y Tecnologia (PICT), Agencia Nacional de Investigaciones en Ciencia y Tecnologia, Argentina.
- Evaluator for the Postgraduate Training Fellowships for Women Scientists in Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDC) at Centres of Excellence in the South, of TWOWS (Third World Organization for Women in Science).
- Evaluator for the Office of External Activities, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP).
- Evaluator of candidates to Postdoctoral Research, Condensed Matter Group (ICTP).
- Evaluator for the Framework Six (FP6) of the European Commission, subject: Nonlinear Sciences
- Evaluator of candidates to the Associateship Scheme (ICTP).
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Created and brought to work within 10 months a system (eJDS) to deliver scientific publications to developing countries with poor Internet connectivity. The initiative was recognized by K. Matsuura, UNESCO Director General as one of the four initiatives of UNESCO to bridge the Digital Divide, and it is still today the main font of literature for many developing countries
Managing contracts with the European Commission, NATO and ONRIFO as organizer of the Adriatico Research Conferences and single events. Managed contracts with Xerox Co. in Brazil, for academic purposes, with a company that had never done something equivalent.
Epistemic, development of a device to detect early manifestations of an epileptic seizure
Planning and Coordinating
- Managed the organization of many events, as described in the CV, including the event o celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics.
- Managed concurrent professional activities: research in Nonlinear Dynamics, supervision of thesis dissertation, ICTP/TWAS Donation Programme and eJDS, and Conferences.
Managing People, Communication and Mentoring
- Managed a group of three in the Donation Programme, and two in the eJDS, had to interact with many members of staff during preparation of conferences.
- Incentivated people to work in new projects.
- Publications and reports on copyright and electronic publishing issues.
Work In International Settings:
- Worked since 1988 at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, a UNESCO organization to foster science in developing countries. Collaborated with scientists of many different countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, China, India, Mongolia, Pakistan, Egypt, Ukraine, etc.
- Negotiated contracts with companies from different countries for the benefit of developing countries: American Physical Society, Elsevier, World Scientific, Optical Society of America.
- Recognized as a specialist in the needs of developing countries and copyright issues in the electronic era:
- Member of IUPAP Working Group in Communications in Physics, 5th IPA Copyright Conference, Accra, Ghana, February 2002, Participation CODATA/ICSU/UNESCO International Symposium on Open Access and the Public Domain, and Workshop, in the World Summit on Information Society, Geneva, December 2003.
- Head of the ICTP/TWAS Donation Programme since 1998, with 3 staff members under my supervision;
- Designer and Coordinator of the eJournals Delivery Service, to deliver scientific articles to scientists in developing countries.
Organization of Scientific and Science Related Events:
- Adriatico Research Conferences of the ICTP (1989-95);
- Schools, Workshops and single Conferences;
- IUPAP Conferenceon Long Term Archiving of Digital Documents in Physics, Lyon, France, November 2001.
- 1st and 2nd Round Table on-line Scientific Publishing towards Developing Countries, Trieste, Italy, October 2002.
- IUPAP Workshop on Scientific Misconduct and the Role of Physics Journals in its Investigation and Prevention, London, October, 2003
- Dynamics Days South America 2010, São José dos Campos, Brazil, July 2010
- Dynamics Days South America 2012, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, November 2012
- XIII Latin American Workshop in Nonlinear Dynamics, Córdoba, Argentina, October 2013
- Advanced Computational and Experimental Techniques in Nonlinear Dynamics, Cuzco, Peru, May 2013
- School on Nonlinear Optics and Nanophotonics, ICTP-SAIFR, São Paulo, Brazil, November 2013
- Dynamics Days Asia Pacific 8, Chennai, India, July 2014
- III Dynamics Days South America, Valparaiso, Chile, November 2014
- School on Complex Networks and Applications to Neurosciences, ICTP-SAIFR, São Paulo, Brazil, September- October 2015
- Perspectives in Nonlinear Dynamics 2016, Berlin, Germany, July 2016
Excellent English, Spanish and Portuguese; fluent Italian; basic German